Tuesday 10 January 2017

Look after me!

I can't believe I'm on day 10 and no alcohol.  Yesterday and today have probably been the hardest, but I didn't want to have to admit to giving in to temptation.
I've been reading lots of blogs, lots of mind stuff and felt the urge to revisit "The Chimp Paradox" by Dr Steve Peters.  I know it's not for everyone, but it works for me.  The only problem is I can't find the book! Having Marie Kondoed (the de-cluttering one) my house about 18 months ago, I'm surprised I can't find it, but never mind that at the moment.  I found a PDF onlinewhich reminded me of the basic principles. Very briefly Dr Peters talks about three ares of the brain, - you the human , frontal lobe, logical thinking etc, the chimp, limbic system- emotion etc and the computer- storage area for thoughts and behaviours.  Both human and chimp can imput the computer The chimp, like  areal one, is five times stronger than a human, so you need to look after it and nurture it rather than control it, as you can't.  You need to make sure beneficial data is being stored in your computer. I'm not the best at explaining all this, but I understand the idea and
"Your chimp is hi-jacking you if you

  • Have unwelcome thought and feelings
  • Struggle to live life the way yoou want
  • Sabotage your own happiness and success
  • Act impulsively and regret it later
  • Procrastinate or can't stick at resolutions."

I recognise that person!  So now I have a cute picture of a baby chimp on my study noticeboard that I would never think pouring alcohol into it would be a good idea.  It would be cruel.  It's beginning to stick that the strong, impulsive, sometimes persistent thoughts are just one primitive area of my brain that needs to be calmed by rational thought and processed over and over again.  I'm not fighting myself to stop drinking, I'm convincing myself that it is not my best idea.  It's bloody exhausting, but hey, it's DAY 10!
And I feel like crying like child who wants their own way, because I want a glass of wine and I'm not going to have one.  But it is DAY 10, hurray!
PS Grammar and punctuation police- I know and don't care.  It's been a long day and I'm doing a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Day 11!
    I think Prim on https://takinganewpath.wordpress.com has talked about that chimp stuff.
    It is so hard to be a grown up, and say no to the inner child, that's for sure!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's interesting stuff and anything that helps!

      Delete
  2. yes it is exhausting! I remember it well, you are doing great every day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SP. It all takes a lot of mental energy, but hopefully at some point it will take less time even if it is tough.

      Delete