Thursday 1 June 2017

Day 3

I would have caved last night if I hadn't restarted my blog, but being accountable stopped me.  At lunchtime, out of nowhere, my mind looked forward to an evening drink.  Had to supress that feeling hard.  In the evening went for a walk and got back late enough to decide that an early bed was what I needed.
Didn't sleep well and felt exhausted and not great this morning, but forced myself up. Went for a walk in the sunshine. Heard a woodpecker and felt a cool breeze on my skin.  Oh so happy not to have had a drink last night!
I heard an interview this morning with the footballer Tony Adams, who had a well-documented struggle with alcohol, but has now been sober for 21 years.  The interviewer asked him if it was still hard if he went out with friends to dinner if they were having wine.  Of course it was not, it was different now.  To me this brought up the widely held view that giving up alcohol will be a daily battle for the rest of your life.  I'm happy to know from the blogs that I read, that it is tough, but in time the rewards will outweigh the cravings.
Staying strong on day 3

9 comments:

  1. Hang on in there ... You are quite right the rewards stack up quickly. I just spent a weekend camping with a group who enjoy alcohol with whom I also consumed vast amounts ... It was fine!! Becks Blue was a life saver and the mornings were just Great :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vast amounts ...in the past ... I should add :-)))

      Delete
    2. Hi Jacs60. Thanks for the encouragement. It's so encouraging to know that things get better and better.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you were able to get out for a walk, and sleep.
    It really does get better.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walk and sunshine are great healers.

      Delete
    2. Walk and sunshine are great healers.

      Delete
  3. Hi MNW, yes it gets better. Life can sometimes be crap though, the trick is to realise it is just crap sometimes, and a drink won't make it better, and it's not crap because you are not drinking. Hope your day four is going great! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things getting better seem to be the theme of the replies to this post. I'll take that and hold on to it.

      Delete
    2. Things getting better seem to be the theme of the replies to this post. I'll take that and hold on to it.

      Delete